Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Macaroni and Cheese
By Shannon • March 5, 2014 • Entrees
Macaroni and Cheese. America’s staple food. Every kid just loves macaroni and cheese, and it reminds everyone of home. I wanted my son to be able to eat this wonderful taste of Americana, but I could never find the right ingredients until lately. Most of the alleged rice cheese I found had soy as an ingredient, which is an allergen for my son. A few months ago I discovered Daiya cheese, that does not have soy in it. Daiya cheese comes in two flavors: mozzarella and cheddar. It melts just like regular cheese and it’s pretty tasty. It does contain pea protein, so if you’re allergic to legumes, then this cheese is also not an option.
What I like about this recipe is that it is similar to how you prepare regular mac and cheese, but all of the ingredients are top 8 allergen free. I usually combine the breadcrumbs into the casserole, but if you like them on top, then reserve some to sprinkle along with the cheese. You still are able to get that combination of textures between the breadcrumbs, noodles and cheese.
This casserole is a yummy alternative to the traditional one using dairy and I hope that you enjoy it. Plus, I think it’s healthier anyway!
- 2 cups cooked pasta, either rice, corn, quinoa
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance Soy Free Spread
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (I used Glutino)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups rice milk
- 1 1/2 cups Daiya Rice Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, to al dente, and rinse after cooking. Toss with a little bit of olive oil to prevent sticking
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and whisk in flour and mustard until combined and without any lumps on medium low heat.
- Stir in black pepper, paprika and onion, then add rice milk and stir for about a minute.
- Add in breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and stir for about about five minutes on medium low heat.
- In a small casserole dish, combine pasta and breadcrumb mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Add cheese and stir to combine, saving some to top the pasta.
- Bake for 20 minutes.